AUTOMATIC COLLECTION, USE, AND SHARING OF DEFAULT DATA
What Default Data We Collect
All of our Connected Vehicles contain an in-vehicle Telematics Control Unit (TCU), which is activated on or before the Connected Vehicle’s delivery to a Mazda dealer, and allows us to collect and transmit certain Default Data from the Connected Vehicle. The Default Data is generated within the Connected Vehicle, collected by either the TCU or other in-vehicle system (excluding the Electronic Data Recorder (EDR)), and transmitted to us via the TCU.
WE AUTOMATICALLY COLLECT CERTAIN DEFAULT DATA FROM THE CONNECTED VEHICLE ON AN ONGOING BASIS. ONLY WE CAN DEACTIVATE THE TCU AND DISABLE OUR COLLECTION OF ALL DEFAULT DATA. NOTE THAT THE SALE, TRANSFER, OR LEASE TERMINATION OF A CONNECTED VEHICLE WILL NOT DISABLE AUTOMATIC DEFAULT DATA COLLECTION.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DISABLE OUR COLLECTION OF DEFAULT DATA FROM YOUR CONNECTED VEHICLE, PLEASE CONTACT OUR CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTER AT 1-800-222-5500. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING CONTACTING US IS AVAILABLE HERE.
“Default Data” includes the following:
- “Location Data”: geo-location coordinates of your Connected Vehicle’s latitude and longitude each time you turn off your Connected Vehicle (“Ignition-Off”);
- “Driving Data”: driving behavior data, which includes the acceleration and speed at which your Connected Vehicle is driven, travel direction, and use of the steering and braking functions in your Connected Vehicle (Driving Data is collected for each driving trip and transmitted at each Ignition Off); and
- “Vehicle Health Data”: includes Vehicle Identification Number (VIN); odometer, fuel level, and oil life readings; Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs); and data from the Connected Vehicle’s OBD system (“OBD Data”). OBD Data includes, but is not limited to, engine coolant temperature, fuel injection volume, engine Rotation Per Minute (RPM), and the status of doors, hood, trunk, and hazard lights (Vehicle Health Data is transmitted at each Ignition-Off).
How We Use and Share Default Data
On an ongoing basis, we share the Default Data with you; our parent company, Mazda Motor Corporation, and our affiliates (collectively, the “Mazda Family of Companies”); and/or our third-party service providers. We share Default Data with our third-party service providers as needed for their support of our business purposes (listed below), not for our third-party service providers to make use of the Default Data for their own business purposes. We, the Mazda Family of Companies, and our third-party service providers may use the Default Data to perform any or all of the following:
- analysis of safety concerns and issuance of product recalls;
- analysis of product trends;
- product quality analysis;
- product research and development;
- product improvements, for safety reasons or otherwise; and
- providing you with Mazda Connected Services, if applicable.
Additionally, we may share the Default Data as follows:
- with law enforcement, courts, administrative bodies, or governments (“Enforcement Entities”) as may be required by applicable law; by legal process; in response to government investigations; for national security purposes; or where we have a good faith belief that disclosure of the Default Data is required by law or legal process. We may also share the Default Data with Enforcement Entities where we have a good faith belief it is necessary to do so to prevent harm, injury, or loss, and we may use the Default Data as reasonably necessary to pursue or defend legal actions, even if harm, injury, or loss has already occurred; and
- with third-parties for educational research purposes in an anonymized and aggregated format.
YOUR AGREEMENT TO AND OBLIGATIONS REGARDING OUR COLLECTION AND USE OF DEFAULT DATA
MAZDA CONNECTED SERVICES
Mazda Connected Services is an optional feature available on Connected Vehicles that allows you to use certain connected functionalities that we may make available to you from time to time, such as Remote Engine Start, Remote Lock/Unlock, Maintenance Notifications, Malfunction Notifications, and Vehicle Locator. Your use of Mazda Connected Services requires that you affirmatively opt-in by accepting the terms of our Mazda Connected Services Subscription Agreement (“Subscription Agreement”) before starting any complimentary period or paid subscription term. To subscribe to Mazda Connected Services, you must have an active account in our MyMazda mobile application (“MyMazda” or “MyMazda App”), and you will be required to log-into your MyMazda account to review and accept the Subscription Agreement. At any time, you can also use the MyMazda App to customize your Mazda Connected Services, choosing which available functionalities to use or disable, or you can use the MyMazda App to cancel your subscription in its entirety. For full information on Mazda Connected Services, click here. To unsubscribe from Mazda Connected Services, you must log-into your MyMazda account and cancel your subscription.
Collection and Use of Default Data
To provide you with the Mazda Connected Services, we use the Default Data that we automatically collect from your Connected Vehicle.
If you are an active subscriber to Mazda Connected Services, in addition to us using the Default Data for our own business purposes, we may also use the Default Data as follows to provide you with available connected functionality:
- Location Data: We may use your Location Data to provide you with Vehicle Finder, which allows you to use the MyMazda App to view the geo-location coordinates of your Connected Vehicle’s position at last Ignition-Off.
- Driving Data and Vehicle Health Data: We may use both your Driving Data and Vehicle Health Data to provide you with the real-time status information of your Connected Vehicle, including the status of doors, hood, trunk, and hazard lights. You can remotely view the real-time status of your Connected Vehicle at any time using the MyMazda App.
- Vehicle Health Data: We may use your Vehicle Health Data to provide you with notifications via the MyMazda App when your Connected Vehicle is due for maintenance or service (“Maintenance Notification”), or when your Connected Vehicle reports a malfunction-related event (“Malfunction Notification”).
Collection and Use of Personal Information
In addition to our automatic collection, use, sharing, and storing of Default Data, your choice to subscribe to Mazda Connected Services also requires our collection of certain information, which includes certain information about you or your Connected Vehicle that alone or in combination with other information could be used to identify you, e.g., name, address, phone number, and your Connected Vehicle’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) (collectively, “Personal Information”). Note that our collection of Personal Information only applies if you choose to subscribe to Mazda Connected Services, and you will provide us with your Personal Information using your MyMazda account; your Personal Information will not be automatically collected or transmitted from your Connected Vehicle.
If you choose to subscribe to Mazda Connected Services, you will be prompted in your MyMazda account to provide certain required Personal Information, which may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- First and Last Name
- Phone Number
All Personal Information and other information that is required to enroll in Mazda Connected Services will be identified as a required field in the MyMazda App, and you will not be able to complete enrollment without providing responses to all required fields. You may additionally provide other requested information that is optional but not required to use Mazda Connected Services.
At any time, you can log-into your MyMazda App to review, correct, revise, or update any of your Personal Information.
We will use your Personal Information so we can provide Mazda Connected Services to you, including communicating with you regarding your Connected Vehicle and providing you with relevant Mazda offers. You may disable certain functionalities of Mazda Connected Services at any time by logging-in to your MyMazda App and modifying your preferences.
Sharing Your Personal Information
We may share your Personal Information with:
- Our Mazda Family of Companies: to support safety, research, analysis, and product development activities by our parent company, Mazda Motor Corporation, and our affiliates.
- Our dealers: to inform you of offers and facilitate service from your designated Preferred Dealer. You are required to select one Preferred Dealer in the MyMazda App, but we will only share your Personal Information with your selected Preferred Dealer if you haven’t disabled this function in your MyMazda account settings.
- Third-party service providers: we may share your Personal Information with third party service providers that we contract with to provide you with the Mazda Connected Services, as detailed in this Connectivity Privacy Statement.
- Enforcement Entities: we do not share your Personal Information with Enforcement Entities unless we are required to do so by applicable law; legal process; in response to government investigations; as may be required for national security; or where we have a good faith belief that disclosure of your Personal Information is required by law or legal process. We may also share your Personal Information with Enforcement Entities where we have a good faith belief it is necessary to do so to prevent harm, injury, or loss, and we may use your Personal Information to pursue or defend legal actions, even if harm, injury, or loss has already occurred.
We take data and information security seriously. We continuously strive to protect the Default Data and Personal Information against loss and unauthorized access or use by maintaining and continually updating our formal security program, which employs reasonable security practices that meet or exceed the security standards for our industry.
To summarize, we provide you with choices about what data and information you share with us:
- Deactivation: when you buy or lease a Connected Vehicle, you are consenting to our automatic collection of Default Data. You may contact us to deactivate your TCU and disable our collection of all Default Data.
- Subscription Agreement: you must affirmatively agree to our Subscription Agreement before starting any complimentary period or paid subscription of Mazda Connected Services. At any time, using your MyMazda App, you can customize your Mazda Connected Services by choosing which available functionalities to use or disable, or you can use the MyMazda App to cancel your subscription in its entirety.
- Review and Update: You may log-into your MyMazda App at any time to review, correct, revise, or update any of the Personal Information you provided to us.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a resident of California, click here to review your California Privacy Rights.
We do not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information, from the Connected Vehicle or any other source, from children under the age of 13. It is your obligation to ensure that all drivers of your Connected Vehicle are of legal driving age for the relevant jurisdiction. If we learn that we have personally identifiable information about a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information.
You agree to this Connectivity Privacy Statement when you:
- Purchase or lease a Connected Vehicle; and
- Subscribe to Mazda Connected Services.
REMINDER: When you purchase or lease a Connected Vehicle, unless and until you contact us to deactivate your TCU, which disables our automatic collection of all Default Data, you are consenting to our remote, automatic collection, use, sharing, and storage of the Default Data.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Connectivity Privacy Statement, please contact our Customer Experience Center at 1-800-222-5500. Additional information regarding contacting us is available here.
Effective Date: May 1, 2020